Sunday 3 October 2010

Make the Most of Your Chambers Directory

One of the most effective tools I found for doing my research when freelancing was non other than the Chamber of Commerce Directory book. Stuffed full of every local business opportunity and hence freelance writing work, it's the one place I go to repeatedly to do my mailing shoots and contact people.

You could also use the local Yellow Pages, but call me weird when I say that I like the colouful pages of the Chambers Directory. And the hotspots? Think media agencies, PR firms, consulting, academia and healthcare.

In fact, ALL businesses can ideally be approached for work and as your work piles on, you will find you get repeated work and recomendations from your clients. Word gets around when there is a good freelance writer around, and to be honest, they are worth their weight in gold.

As one college administrator told me: 'We simply don't have enough staff or enough hours in the day to get this type of work done.' Bingo! Take advantage of this and you hit the jackpot each and every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment